Tuesday, July 19, 2011

And the journey called Armidale begins...

Yesterday Lisa and I took a ferry to Manly beach which is another one of the popular beaches.  The ferry gave me a great view of Sydney.  There, I had a meat pie which is very popular here in Australia.  It’s just pastry filled with meat and gravy!  The area I see there to be the most differences between Australia and America is definitely the food.  Pies aren’t like fruit pies like we have in the US, so if you see a sign for pies it’s usually for meat pies.  Also, bagels aren’t popular here (I know, sad) but instead Lisa had me try a crumpet which is somewhat similar. Anyway...back to Manly...we went to this famous sweet shop and got delicious macaroons.  They’re not at all like the macaroons you’re thinking of...hard to explain what they are but it was very good!   
This morning I took my flight from Sydney to Armidale (first time I’VE seen snow in July).  The airport in Armidale isn’t even an airport. It’s pretty much a room and one plane.  The planes only come and go from Sydney is what I hear.  I was picked up by international services at UNE and brought to my college. (A college is like a dorm…mine is called Austin).  No one is here… everyone is on holiday L (vacation).  My room is a tiny boring single room.  Hopefully I’ll be able to decorate it a bit more!  The past couple hours I’ve just been resting… I don’t even have internet yet! (I’m writing this on Microsoft word right now… giving me something to do)  The university is pretty from what I can see.  Everything is not nearly as close together as I thought and hoped it would be, and I would need to take a bus if I wanted to go to the shops in town.  (Sorry if I’m sounding a bit pessimistic… I just hope everything works out!)  Maybe I’ll look into renting a car.  Anyway.. that’s all I can think of ranting about for now…G’DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment